FO Friday (maybe?): One Finished Sock!

 Alright, alright.  Is this really a Finished Object? I know it's debatable, as it's only one sock, not two.  but it is a Finished Sock, so, I figure that counts?

And yes, it is the first of the Waffle Stitch Socks, finished up and ready to go!  This was a really interesting challenge in design, as crochet socks aren't -that- different then knit socks, but there are some pretty big differences. 

 someone wearing a crochet sock done in textured stitch.  The stitch pattern has front post crochet stitches crossing over a background in a diamond pattern.First, the crochet ribbing is done back and forth in rows, and then stitches are picked up from the edge of that.  I learned the hard way that the ribbing is at a very, very different gauge then the rest of the sock, and it took a number of tries to get that part right!

Second, the heel is very much done as an afterthought heel (which worked out for me, since I was able to use single crochet for the entire heel, which makes it a bit more durable).  I did have to rip out and re-work the heel math several times; but once I got it right, it came together pretty quickly. 

Getting the toe decreases in pattern was also a bit of a trick, and, small spoiler, I gave up on that at the last round and just went with a plain round of double crochet - I just could not make it work!

Having finished my first crochet sock, I see why people would prefer these more as slippers rather then as socks.  Especially if they were worked in a thicker yarn, I can totally see it (and I have some slipper ideas as a result of this particular experiment!)   And speaking of yarn, yarn for this was Lichen and Lace 80/20 Sock in "Beach Glass." - it's a pretty standard sock yarn in an absolutely glorious colour, and I'm very happy with how this turned out!

 The hook I used was a 2.75 mm (US C) hook, and it was my first time working with a hook this small - I really enjoyed the end result, but I will say, I'm glad I had other projects to work on when my hands started to cramp up a bit.  I usually prefer wooden hooks, but I have not found a wooden hook this size, (and I do wonder if I'd snap a wooden hook this small - I know I can snap wooden double-pointed needles at this gauge annoyingly easily!)

Would I make another crochet sock?  Absolutely. At the very least I have to make the mate for this one, and I have rough ideas for more - plus, honestly, after trying it on, it's thicker then a standard knit sock and I like it! 

I'm also now wondering if it will be warmer in the winter than comparable knit socks?  If anyone knows that answer to that one, please, let me know, either here in the comments, or on the Discord!

Comments