FO Friday: Garden Trellis Hat

And, the Garden Trellis Hat is done!  I haven't been posting as much about WIP Wednesday recently, so I'm probably surprising you all with a Finished Object,

A crochet hat done in dark teal fingering-weight yarn; with columns of bobbles and raised post stitches.I've just set it to block, and it's drying in the sun -  the finished object grew even more then I expected when blocking, so this. . . . this might actually math out to be a large.  (whoops!  That's a tension fail!)  In which case, I will run the math and make a size small for me to model for the pattern.  I have one more skein which should be more then enough to do a smaller hat, since this hat took just a smidge over one skein.   (Oh, and this is why you check your tension/gauge -after- blocking, not before!)  

I was actually worried about this yarn felting when I washed it, because it is a very 'sticky' yarn.  I still do think it would actually felt gloriously -- might be worth an experiment if I've got leftovers!  But apparently, if I'm not tying to felt it, it grows.  A lot more then my first tests suggested.  (See the Yarn Harlot's post on why swatches lie)  

But, that's not a Bad Thing, it just means I have to account for it when I write the pattern -- especially because this is being written up specifically in this yarn -- it's Bobolink Yarns Scuttleship Romney yarn.  The amazing folks at Bobolink Yarns sent me 3 skeins as yarn support, and I've worked up both the hat and a matching pair of Mitts!  I've completely fallen in love with the colour -- it's right in my usual colour palette, which, of course, means that, while this particular hat is too big for my head given how much it grew, the small version is absolutely going to end up in my stash of personal knitwear!  (And given this tension fail, I'm now -very- glad that they sent me three skeins!) 


Hook is my 3.5 mm (US E) hook from Leither Co, that I was lucky enough to win on the Marly Bird Podcast!   I'm actually really thrilled that I won this hook, as it was a company that was completely new-to-me at the time!   It's wooden with a metal shaft, and is really quite comfortable to use.  When I initially got it, I was worried it wouldn't work for me, as I tend to prefer thinner hooks.  But, no, I'm been quite enjoying it!  The one minor grumble I have with it is that as the shaft of the hook is shorter, doing the 5 stitch bobbles in this pattern got a bit tricky, but nothing that couldn't be solved with just a bit of caution.

I'm hoping to get this up for testing very soon, so, stay tuned on Yarnpond, or, sign up for my e-mail list, to get notified of the testing call (click the checkbox for 'crochet' under chosen crafts if you want the testing call for this pattern!)

Comments