WIP Wednesday: The Hem of the Eyelet Skirt!

 And we're back for another WIP Wednesday, with the Eyelet Skirt!  Today, I'm almost done the main body of the skirt - the current step is binding off the hem with a three-needle bind off!

someone holding two needles, with the knit fabric back-to-back.  A third needle has been used to pick up stitches from the knitted fabric.
This step?  It's tedious, but not hard.  It's 200+ stitches, and you just work through them, one after the the other.   This is the top hem of the skirt, and it's also forming the channel that will hold an I-cord drawstring.  So, you're folding over the top hem and binding it off by joining to the wrong side of the work.   Honestly, I had more trouble picking up all the stitches than I did actually doing the bind off!  I found it very, very challenging to pick up the stitches on the Wrong Side of the work, so I picked them up on the Right Side and then shifted my spare needle to the back of the work. I had the advantage of doing this style of hem before, so, it really wasn't challenging for me, just tedious. 

The pattern is the Eyelet Skirt pattern, which is free from Universal Yarns.   Thanks to the KNITMuch blog for pointing me at this really pretty pattern, I would never have found it otherwise, and the saga of knitting this will also be up on their blog as well this summer!

The yarn is FibraNatura's Flax in "Adriatic" (also, thanks to KNITMuch for the yarn support!) and, though it's rough on the hands, I'm still really enjoying working with it!  I'm finding it a teeny bit splitty in places, but, not so much that it's hard to work with.  I'd be curious to see how it works up on metal needles, rather then the Clover Bamboo Needles (also part of my support from KNITMuch - they sent me a wonderful box of yarn-mail goodies, and I'm absolutely thrilled to be working with them on this!)

Current challenge?  This is big enough that it's no longer my easy 'travel knitting' - the pick up and three needle bind off is just a tad too fiddly for that.  So I need a new travel project (though the I-cord drawstring for the waist should also be a great travel project - I just need to get through the bind off!)

Do any of you have different projects for travel or home knitting?  Or am I just the odd one here?  Let me know in the comments or on the discord

 P.S - Yes, I've had to slow down my knitting for a few days - I took the photograph before I hurt my hand.  Don't worry, it's not super-serious, but I'm a slower knitter until it heals!

Comments