FO Friday: Finished Eyelet Skirt!


Alright, I'm happy to say, I've finished the Eyelet Skirt and finally got photos of the finished skirt (my selfie-taking skills are non-existent, so I enlisted my photographer's help for that one!)


With the skirt done, the blog post series all about knitting this skirt should be up over on the KNITMuch blog very soon, and I'm looking forward to that! 

Pattern is the Eyelet Skirt - free from Universal Yarns - and while the end result is amazing, the pattern is. . .  it's not hard, once you figure out what you're doing.  There's a lot of assumed knowledge and some faffing about with the lace charts.  But once you realize what you're being asked to do, there's nothing difficult about the actual knitting part - it's basic lace for the bottom hem, lots of stocking stitch for the rest of the skirt, then picking up a lot of stitches and a three-needle bind off for the hem, plus an optional I-chord.  So, if you've got some knitting experience, you should be fine, if you're a beginner, you might want a hand interpreting the pattern. 

a woman waving at the camera.  She is sitting on a low brick wall and wearing a knit skit with a lace hem, knit in blue yarn.
Photography: Stephanie Wallace

Also, the pattern is written flat for reasons I have yet to figure out (fellow designer people, if anyone knows why you might knit a skirt pattern in flat sections rather then in the round, please, let me know in the comments, because I can't see a reason why it would be written that way?) I converted it to in the round, and I'm glad I did - given the length of the skirt, that would have been A Lot of mattress stitch! 

The yarn is FibraNatura's Flax in "Adriatic" (also, thanks to KNITMuch for the yarn support!) and, although, like most 100% linen yarns, it started rough, it softened up -so- much in the washer and dryer.  I'm in love!  And the Clover Bamboo Needles  KNITMuch also sent me are definitely going to see future use - it was my first time working with bamboo circulars, and I really quite like them! (I've used other wooden circular needles before, but not bamboo ones, and I really do like these!)

To read the whole saga of this skirt - you can check out the KNITMuch blog post series when it goes live (early July 2024), and, if you like what you see, you can download the pattern and give a try at knitting your own skirt!

Comments