Pattern Release: Celtic Hood

Well, after a bit of a delay, the Celtic Hood Pattern is now available on Payhip, and Etsy!  It's perfect for cold spring mornings to keep the rain and snow off your head -- and I've been testing my pattern sample during a Canadian winter, and it definitely does the job!

The Celtic Hood was to fill a gap in my own knitting library. I found I only had few hood patterns, and none for adults. And when an internet search failed to turn up what I wanted, I decided to design it myself!

A woman wearing a red knit hood, with a cabled-stitch border around the front of the hood. The hood has a ribbed neck that falls over the top of the shoulders.


This hood starts with the cable panel, which is knit flat. The neck is knit in the round, then the cable section is joined to the neck with a three-needle bind off. The body of the hood is knit back and forth, picking up stitches from the edge of the cable pattern. Finally, stitches are picked up from the other side of the cable pattern to make the edge of the hood. So while it is an exercise in more unusual construction, there's absolutely nothing scary about it, I promise!

Sizes Available:  Adult Small and Large.
Hood Depth: 9.75(10.75) inches, 25(27.5)cm.
Top of Neck to Top Seam: 12(14) inches, 30.5(35.5) cm

1100 (1550) yards/1006 (1418) meters of worsted/aran yarn. Sample knit in Cascade Yarns Cascade 200, (100% Superwash Wool), in the colourway "Rose."

The pattern is both written and charted, and, there is a large-print version available that is also compatible with screen-reading technology.

As always, I love seeing what you make! So please, tag your creations on Social Media with #SarahDawnsDesigns, so I can find your awesome things! 

If you've got feedback, comments, or questions about the pattern, you can comment here, or e-mail me at sarahdawnsdesigns@gmail.com.

I hope you enjoy the hood, and, as always, happy crafting!

Comments